How do you get this Activity to actually install and be visible in the FIM Portal?

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Please could you explain how to actually install this activity?
  1. We have imported the FIMPowerShellModule (from https://fimpowershellmodule.codeplex.com/)
  2. We then ran the Install-FIMPowerShellWF successfully (after copying the FIMExtensions.FIMActivityLibrary.dll into the same directory as the Install script)
However, we still cannot see any FIM Powershell Activity when we create a new FIM Portal Workflow.
Jun 5, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Hello,

I am happy to provide you with my notes (attached) as I struggled for several days getting the PowerShell WF Activity to show up in the FIM Portal as an optional WF Activity type that can be selected, but was finally successful.

I am currently working on implementing Carol Wapshere's "Rewritting my GenerateUnique activity as a PowerShell script" (http://www.wapshere.com/missmiis/rewriting-my-generateunique-activity-as-a-powershell-script) but am again encountering a tough error that I should have resolved soon).

I sincerely hope that this helps.

Best regards,

Mike Lane

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Some items to verify:
  • check for the FimExtensions.FimActivityLibrary.dll assembly in the GAC
  • check for the ActivityInformationConfiguration object in the FIM Service
  • restart IIS
This assumes FIM Service and FIM Portal are running on the same computer.
Jun 5, 2014 at 7:21 PM
Good additions Craig.

Just to clarify, for the second bullet; in the FIM Portal under "Administration" and in "All Resources" select the "Activity Information Configuration" item and confirm that the "PowerShell Activity" is listed in the resultant list.

Mike Lane
Jul 3, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Craig,
Is it required to place the service role and portal role on the same computer?

From your reaction at 5/6 6:42 It's possible to conclude that It's required.

Thanks, guy
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Hi Guy, the activity will work in either deployment scenario. If the FIM Portal and FIM Service are on different computers then you need to add the FimExtensions.FimActivityLibrary.dll assembly to the GAC on both computers.

If the assembly is missing on the FIM Portal computer then the activity will not render when you try to create/view/modify a Workflow Definition using the FIM Portal.
May 12 at 1:26 PM
Hey Guys,

I know its been a while since the last post, but just in case someone runs into this issue, I just want to add one more thing when dealing with a multiple server scenario (Fim Portal and FIm service in different servers).

You have to install DLL "MicrosoftIdentityManagement.WFExtensionInterfaces" on FIM Service server, as it got installed only on portal server. You can find the dll inside this file on Portal instalation folder: MicrosoftILMPortalCommonDlls.wsp.

Just change the file extension for ".cab" and then extract the require DLL and install it on FIM Service server. You can use same .ps1 installation file developed by Craig.

Good Luck